Sale Choral Society was founded in October 1907 as Sale and District Musical Society under the leadership of Alfred Higson and first performed in March 1908. It quickly became a successful choir, appearing in choral competitions and at music festivals, with numerous awards being gained.
In 1960 Alfred Higson retired and was succeeded by his son Edward. During the following years the society's emphasis changed as recitals gradually took over from competitions. Since 1969 when Michael English became Musical Director, the Society has concentrated on performing a mixture of sacred oratorios and secular choral works.
On Michael English's retirement in 1982, Russell Medley became Musical Director. In 1989 the choir changed its name to Sale Choral Society.